The last thing you ever expected to happen at school is abuse, but unfortunately it does happen. If your child is hurt at school (whether because of an accident or because of abuse) you have options. You may be able to file a claim against the school and the perpetrator of the abuse, to hold them accountable, and to obtain compensation for this experience.
Your child deserves justice for being subjected to abuse in an environment that should have been nurturing and supportive. School abuse could change your child’s life and you shouldn’t allow something like this to go uncorrected. A lawsuit has the ability to draw more attention to school abuse and hopefully protect others from also being hurt.
Types of Abuse That Happens in Public Schools
There are different types of abuses, which can occur in the public school setting. Below you’ll find a list of some of the most common.
- Sexual abuse – Unfortunately, sexual abuse in schools occurs, and if you find that your child has been sexually abused you can file a claim against the school and the perpetrator of the abuse. Abusers could be coaches, teachers, fellow students, or other school staff members.
- Physical abuse – Sometimes a child can be physically abused and if it’s found the school knew of the abuse and did nothing to stop it, the school can be held liable. Additionally, if the school’s negligence in any way contributed to the abuse you can file a claim.
- Emotional and psychological abuse – This type of abuse may be a little more difficult to prove but in some ways it can be worse than physical abuse. Belittling, tormenting, or otherwise emotionally torturing a student is a type of abuse.
- Neglect or maltreatment – Depending on the school environment, neglect or maltreatment can also occur. For instance, when a child goes to an all-day school or daycare and isn’t being properly cared for, the child’s health can suffer due to that neglect.
- Bullying – Bullying from other students is a real problem in schools. If you have evidence that your child has been bullied and abused you may be able to file a claim.
Why Should You File a Claim for School Abuse?
If your child has been abused at school then he or she deserves justice for this abuse. Additionally, abuse can negatively impact your child’s life and you may end up with expenses you had to pay out of pocket because of it.
For instance, if your child was emotionally abused or bullied at school you may need to pay for mental health treatment because of the abuse. Any costs that you have incurred because of the abuse your child suffered are known as damages. You can seek a settlement for all the damages this abuse has cost you and your child.
Thinking About Filing a Claim for School Abuse?
If you believe your child has been abused, contact a personal injury attorney in Detroit as soon as possible to get started on an injury claim. You can fight for your child and fight to protect other children from being abused in schools.